|Java Edition version history|
|◄ 1.8 • 1.9 • 1.10 ►|
Additions[edit | edit source]
Weapons and Combat[edit | edit source]
- New "tipped" arrows, which apply potion or status effects.
- New "spectral" arrows that create a glowing outline around the target, making them visible to the attacker through any blocks. (JE only)
- Axes do more damage, but swings slower. (JE only.)
- Weapon damage is now dependent on an attack strength bar that is depleted when a player swings, and regenerates over time. The more the bar is filled, the more damage a player will do.
- Added shields, which block attacks when a player right clicks. Axes have a chance of disabling the shield for 5 seconds(JE only). A player can combine a banner and a shield to make the shield have the banner's design and colors on it.
- New "sweep attack" when attacking with a sword while crouching or standing. It can knockback multiple enemies at once.(JE only)
- Dual-wielding. If a player puts an item in the off-hand slot, they can use it by right clicking, and typing F (that is the default button) switches the main-hand and off-hand items.(JE only)
- Mobs now give off particles when hit that show how much damage was done to them.
- New items called Lingering Potions. They are thrown like splash potions, but create a cloud affecting anyone who walks through it.
Structures[edit | edit source]
- There is a new Igloo structure in Snow Plains.
- A new End City and End Ship structures in the outer End.
- New Chorus Plant Trees.
- Now up to 128 strongholds generate per world.
- New End Gateways spawn after killing the Ender Dragon. A player must use an Ender Pearl to go through it.
- The inner End is now more like the Console Edition.
Blocks[edit | edit source]
- Purpur Blocks in the End.
- Frosted Ice
- Grass Path, created by right clicking a grass block with a shovel.
- Decorative Dragon Head blocks in the End.
- New Structure Blocks that are used by developers and only placed using /setblock command.
- Chorus Plants able to give a food item (Chorus Fruit)
- Chorus Flower able to grow Chorus Plants.
- End Rods in the End to light up end cities .
Items[edit | edit source]
- Elytra, which are wings that can be used to glide and are obtained in the End.
- A new plant called Beetroot, which can be grown with Beetroot Seeds, or made into Beetroot Soup.
- Ender Crystals (which spawn naturally on the obsidian towers in the End) can now be crafted and can be used to re-summon the Ender Dragon.
Mobs[edit | edit source]
- There are new mobs called Shulkers, new mobs that spawn in End Cities.
- There are now Skeleton Trap Horses, which is a Skeleton on top of a Skeleton Horse.
Other Changes[edit | edit source]
- If a player shears a Snow Golem, its pumpkin will come off of its head.
- Wearing a certain mob head will allow a player to get a bit closer to that type of mob before it starts chasing them.
- Now Blaze Powder is needed to operate a Brewing Stand.
- You can no longer possible to craft Enchanted Golden Apples, but they may still be found rarely within chests.
- Added new enchantment (Frost Walker), which creates solid frost blocks when walking over Water.
- Some enchantments have been re-balanced.
- New sound effects and sound effect subtitles
- Revamped Ender Dragon fight to be harder and more challenging.
- Golden apples and armor have been re-balanced.
Breeding[edit | edit source]
- Pigs can now be bred with Potatoes, Carrots, and Beetroot. Before 1.9, they could only be bred with carrots.
- Chickens can now be bred with any type of Seeds, including Nether Wart
Subsequent updates[edit | edit source]
1.9.1[edit | edit source]
1.9.1 was released on March 30, 2016 with changes to armor toughness and mob AI, the addition of sounds for Elytra, and fixes for 13 issues.
1.9.2[edit | edit source]
1.9.2 was released on March 30, 2016, and fixed some bugs – one of which was a major multiplayer bug.
1.9.3[edit | edit source]
1.9.3 was released on May 10, 2016, and added the
/stopsound command, improved the
/tp command, and better manages memory.
1.9.4[edit | edit source]
1.9.4 was released on May 10, 2016, and fixed a few bugs.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
A Mojang promotional image for the Combat Update