|Click to view a list of all the stubs in this wiki!||Wait! I'm still growing!
This article is a stub. You can help the Minecraft Wiki bythis article.
|Click to view a list of all the stubs in this wiki!|
Bats are passive mobs that spawn naturally in caves or other large enclosed spaces.
Spawning[edit | edit source]
Bats will spawn in large caverns and caves. They can also be spawned with their spawn egg. Bats may spawn in an unlit house if its interior is dark enough.
On superflat worlds, bats have been observed to spawn in even 1X1 spaces that are unlit, such as in mob traps, possibly because the code that spawns them cannot find any other place to spawn them. This indicates that bats do not require a large cave to spawn, but large areas do have a much higher chance of causing them to spawn. Bats will not spawn on glass or slabs, but can spawn randomly in one's world if the light level is 3 or below and the bat doesn't have enough spawning space.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Bats are the fourth smallest mob in the game visually, being only slightly larger than baby chickens, silverfish and Endermites. They are hard to see in the cave areas in which they reside. They have dark brown skin, small wings, and little feet.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It is impossible to attach a lead to a bat.
- According to Jeb, the bat is an example of an ambient mob – a mob that constantly spawns, similar to the squid, but also constantly despawns because when a player is not around it does not serve any purpose.
- Between 20 October and 3 November, bats spawn more frequently as a small Easter Egg in homage to Halloween.
- Bats are the only passive mob that can spawn in caves.
- Bats can be found hanging on the ceilings of caverns when they are not flying.
- Bats are one of only five flying mobs that spawn naturally in the Overworld, the other four being the parrot, the vex, the bee, and the phantom.
History[edit | edit source]
- Bats were added to the Java Edition in snapshot 12w38a of The Pretty Scary Update.
- Bats were introduced to the Pocket Edition in 0.11.0.
Gallery[edit | edit source]