|First Appearance||1.4.2 12w32a (JE)|
0.16.0 build 4 (BE)
|Type of Block||Solid Block|
|No parameters specified|
</noinclude>The beacon is a block added in the 1.4.2 "Pretty Scary Update". These blocks emit a beam straight up into the sky, visible from a considerable distance away which makes it a very good item to be able to find where you are when lost. They also have the ability to grant status effects to players in the vicinity.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Beacons, when placed on the top of a pyramid made of either iron, gold, diamond, emerald, or netherite blocks can grant the player status effects for eight seconds, but these effects will last infinitely if a player remains in the range of the beacon. Beacons also shoot a beam of light up into the sky that can help with navigating the world when active.
Any accepted block type can be used in any layer, regardless of what the other layers are made of.
Beacons can only function when they are placed on the top of a pyramid, and when not being blocked by a solid block on top of the beacon. The GUI consists of a primary, and secondary effect selection screen, a material acceptance selection header, and a player's inventory. A player must place the material (iron ingots, gold ingots, diamonds, emeralds, or netherite ingots) in the header to activate the effects. When the material is placed, a player is free to choose an effect located in the primary effect screen. Whenever a player is in range of the pyramid, a player will receive the effect. The effect(s) last forever, as long as a player is in range, wearing off 10 seconds after moving out of range. The selection and strength of the effects are enhanced by each layer added to the pyramid, along with the range of the beacon. Primary effects are speed, haste, resistance, jump boost, and strength. Regeneration is a secondary power.
Breaking[edit | edit source]
|Tool||This block requires Pickaxe to be mined|
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Status Effects[edit | edit source]
If a player opens the beacon's menu with their "use" action, the player can insert an iron ingot, gold ingot, diamond, emerald, or netherite ingot and activate a status effect for the beacon to bestow upon nearby players. The chosen effect will be re-applied to nearby players every 4 seconds if they are in the range of the beacon. The status effects which a player may choose from are as follows:
- Speed - Increases movement speed.
- Haste - Increases mining speed.
- Resistance - Decreases damage inflicted upon a player (requires a pyramid 2-blocks high).
- Jump Boost - Increases jumping distance and height and reduces falling damage (requires a pyramid 2-blocks high).
- Strength - Increases damage dealt with melee weapons (requires a pyramid 3-blocks high).
- Regeneration - Regenerates health over time (requires a pyramid 4-blocks high).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- As of Java Edition 1.8, the color of a beacon's light can be changed by putting a stained glass block or stained glass pane over it. The colors can be mixed as well.
- There are 12,326,391 different beam colors.
- Beacons are the only block in Minecraft that emits a beam of light.
- A beacon can shine its beam through bedrock.
- The conduit block which was added in 1.13 is similar to the beacon, though it works underwater. It also requires the player to build a design made of prismarine to make it work. It is much more valued than the beacon because it gives 3 status effects in 1: night vision; water breathing and haste, unlike the maximum of two status effects simultaneously from a beacon. It is also less expensive.
- The light blue block inside the glass might be the nether star, shown in block form.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Video[edit | edit source]
- Minecraft Blocks & Items- Beacon Usage