|First Appearance||1.14 (Java Edition)|
1.9 (Bedrock Edition)
|Type of Block||Decorative|
|No parameters specified|
A bell is a naturally-generated block that can be found in the center of all village variants, and produce a bell sound when used.
Uses[edit | edit source]
Bells can be rung by right-clicking on the bell portion of the block (not the frame), which will produce a sound as well as a "swaying" animation. They can also be rung by any damage-dealing projectile in Java Edition, and by redstone or any projectile in Bedrock Edition.
Bells can be anchored to the sides of blocks, floors, and ceilings.
If a bell is rung, the villagers will scatter into their houses. If it is rung during a raid , all nearby mobs within 48 blocks that can appear in a raid will be revealed to the player with a glowing effect on them and a resonating sound. Ringing a bell while villagers are sleeping in their beds will cause them to wake up. Any kind of blacksmith villager may sell bells in exchange for a lot of emeralds. Bells will also act as a meeting place for villagers to gather around in the afternoon.
Sources[edit | edit source]
- One bell can always be found and collected at the center of a village.
- Players can trade with any kind of blacksmith villagers for a bell, sold for 36 emeralds.
- One bell has a 1.5% chance of generating inside a Ruined Portal chest.
Mining[edit | edit source]
A bell requires a pickaxe to harvest, otherwise it will drop nothing.
|Tool||This block requires a Wooden Pickaxe to be mined|
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
History[edit | edit source]
Java Edition[edit | edit source]
The bell was added in 1.14 snapshot 18w44a, but had no functionality. In snapshot 18w50a, sounds and animations for the bell were added. They can be rung by a projectile as of 19w11a, and in 19w13b, bells that are rung during a raid will reveal the raiding mobs within a certain range via a glowing effect.
Bedrock Edition[edit | edit source]
The bell was added in 1.9.0, and were given functionality in 1.11.0.
PlayStation 4 Edition[edit | edit source]
The bell was added in 1.91.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When a bell is broken, nearby villagers appear to be angry. However, if a new bell is placed in the village, all villagers will emit a green, sparkling particle effect.
- The bell can be considered as one of the most expensive blocks in terms of trading, as it requires 36 emeralds (can be cheaper or more expensive) to buy one.
- Even though it is expensive, the bell itself is considered renewable since it can be obtained from trading.
- When the bell is shot by a bow, it will ring relative to how long you charged the shot.
- Bells are the only uncraftable block found in villages.
- If hit with an arrow it will make a "gong" noise.