Mushrooms are a fungi plant-item that currently function as an ingredient in crafting Mushroom Stew, rabbit stew, and fermented spider eyes. As of Beta 1.6, mushrooms will spread to adjacent squares if it is dark enough, and they can be farmed this way. They only grow on podzol and can only be placed on podzol. If bonemealed with enough space around it, it will grow into a Huge Mushroom. Unlike saplings, mushrooms will never grow into huge mushrooms without bonemeal.
History[edit | edit source]
In Creative, mushrooms were a decorative item having no crafting use and remaining in the ground when planted. In Classic, mushrooms could be placed on any block except another mushroom and would remain planted even when the block below them was removed. During Indev, mushrooms were generated in rare instances under trees or in the shadows of other floating continents in the "Floating" map type.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
|Mushroom Stew||Rabbit Stew|
|None||Red Mushroom||None||None||Cooked Rabbit||None|
|None||Brown Mushroom||None||Carrot||Baked Potato||Brown Mushroom or Red Mushroom|
|Fermented Spider Eye|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Red mushrooms can be obtained from shearing mooshrooms, but only once as it then turns the mooshroom into a normal cow.
- In the Beta 1.9 pre-release, if a mushroom was placed next to another mushroom, then both mushrooms would drop and cause a duplication bug.
- Brown mushrooms produce some light (level 1), while red ones don't (possibly not a bug).
- In Minecraft Classic, when mushrooms are placed on other objects other than dirt, they will disappear. Similarly, this happens to Flowers as well.
- As of 1.2.5, mushrooms cannot be placed on grass blocks anymore.
- Mushrooms can spawn in the Nether, including on top of the bedrock ceiling.
- There is always a potted mushroom on the windowsill in Witch Huts, and, on rare occasions, mushrooms can spawn on the floor of the hut and on top of the Crafting Table due to it being dark.
- A red mushroom can sometimes grow on a cut-down log.
- In Pocket Edition, you originally were able to smelt red mushrooms to red dye but that was removed.
- If you put any light sources next to the mushroom then that mushroom will break