|First Appearance||Java: Alpha 1.0.1|
Bedrock: Alpha 0.1.0
|Type of Block||Ore|
|Location||In the Overworld, below y=16, in veins of up to 8|
|No parameters specified|
|Click to view a list of all the stubs in this wiki!||Wait! I'm still growing!
This article is a stub. You can help the Minecraft Wiki bythis article.
|Click to view a list of all the stubs in this wiki!|
Redstone Ore is a type of ore that is found 16 or fewer levels above bedrock. It drops redstone when mined, and it can be crafted into redstone-related mechanisms. If it is hit with anything or walked on, it will begin to glow and will light a small area.
Mining[edit | edit source]
Redstone Ore requires an iron pickaxe or better to harvest, otherwise, it will drop nothing.
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It can be smelted to give one Redstone dust; however, this is inefficient as it requires Silk Touch, yields very little XP, and will not give more than one Redstone per ore.
- When added to the game, all Redstone-related blocks had no official name. In 1.0.4, July 9, 2010, the name Redstone was given by Notch after demands from the community.
- One may only obtain Redstone Ore as a block through Silk Touch enchanted tools, cheats/hacks, or creative mode.
- It is best to mine the Redstone Ore instead of using Silk Touch because when smelting it, it gives only one piece of Redstone, but when mined directly, it drops 1-4 pieces.
- Lit Redstone Ore is defined as a separate block in the source code.
- For beginner Minecraft players, Redstone Ore might be mistaken for Rubies.
- There is a glitch that, when dug with a Silk Touch pick, a redstone ore is obtained that is unstackable. Placing it and destroying it with Silk Touch again fixes that glitch.
- Redstone can essentially be determined to represent the real-life element copper but contains a more red hue in Minecraft than it is in real life. It also has a powdery texture. However, both objects take the same basic function: conducting power.
- Redstone ore can be mined using an iron pickaxe or better. It cannot be mined with a wooden or stone pickaxe. Although it can be destroyed by them, it will not yield anything.
- Redstone is used in making many items that cannot be made with other materials because it is a good conductor of electricity. A useful thing to make on survival mode would be a compass and/or map, as it can be used to venture from a player's home and can help players easily find their way back.
- If a player touches redstone ore, it will glow.
- When hooked up to a BUD switch, it makes a useful pressure plate, in a similar way to String.
- It will still glow if the ore is under a carpet.