An Ender Pearl is an item added in Java Edition Beta 1.8 - The Adventure Update. It has a 50% chance of being dropped by endermen upon death. They are used to teleport, and are a critical component to locating and accessing the End.
Uses[edit | edit source]
By using the Ender Pearl while it is in the player's hand, it can be thrown and the player will teleport to its impact location, causing 5 (File:Half Heart.png) damage to the user in the process. This is classified as fall damage, so Feather Falling boots will negate the damage. Ender Pearls have a one second cooldown before they can be used again, indicated by a white overlay animation in the hotbar that shrinks and must disappear before the player can use it again. Upon teleporting, a player is briefly surrounded by the same particles generated by Endermen when they teleport for a few seconds.
Ender Pearls are a necessary item needed to reach the End. An Ender Pearl can be used to craft an Eye of Ender by combining it with a blaze powder. Eyes of Ender can be thrown into the air and if they are followed, they will eventually lead the user to the location of the End Portal to the Ender Dragon. Once at the portal, up to twelve Eyes of Ender are also required to activate it.
When using an Ender Pearl, there is a 5% chance of an almaz spawning.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
|Eye of Ender |
|None||Ender Pearl||Blaze Powder|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In a Beta 1.9 pre-release 2 server, using an Ender Pearl to teleport would result in the user being kicked from the server for "hacking." This happened because of a glitch in the anti-hack system used to prevent modified clients from moving too quickly. This was fixed in the next pre-release.
- Ender Pearls can be found in some strongholds and woodland mansion chests, and they can also be obtained by trading with a cleric villager.
- Like most throwable items (such as eggs or snowballs), Ender Pearls have a maximum stack amount of 16. Ender Pearls may also be thrown to a mob to create a small knockback effect, and the player will get teleported to the said mob.
- Ender Pearls will only teleport the user if it hits something solid. As such, it will not teleport the user when they throw an Ender Pearl into the Void.
- This also applies when throwing an Ender Pearl in the air, otherwise, it'd be pointless.
- Ender Pearl teleportation works in Creative Mode in the Xbox 360 Edition, the PC Edition, and the PlayStation 3 Edition, but Ender Pearl teleportation does not work on Mac editions.
- Ender Pearls act similarly to the Sky Gem from the game Sonic The Hedgehog (aka Sonic '06).
- As of the 1.0.0 update, Ender Pearls are available in the Windows 10 Edition.
- Ender Pearl's can be stacked up to 16 though Eyes of ender can be stacked to 64.