|First Appearance||Indev 20100219|
|Type of Block||Solid Block|
Overview[edit | edit source]
Furnaces can be naturally generated in Village blacksmiths, Igloos, village houses in Taiga biomes and Snowy Taiga biomes, in snowy tundra village house Chests, and weaponsmith houses in plains villages. Before the furnace was introduced, smelting was accomplished by creating a fire and dropping the ore(s) or raw food into it. The furnace, when right-clicked, has its own smelting menu where smelting operations can be done. It consists of one field for the object that will be smelted, one field for the fuel and one field for the output object, it can also make charcoal using wood log.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
|Cobblestone||Cobblestone||Cobblestone||Iron Ingot||Iron Ingot||Iron Ingot|
|Cobblestone||None||Cobblestone||Iron Ingot||Furnace||Iron Ingot|
|Cobblestone||Cobblestone||Cobblestone||Smooth Stone||Smooth Stone||Smooth Stone|
Fuel[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Smelting
There are two squares one on top of the other. The fuel is placed on the bottom square, while the object wished to be smelted is placed in the top square. This will cause an arrow on the left of the squares to start to turn white. Once it is filled, the desired items or blocks will be placed in the adjacent box of the arrow for a player to take.
Mining[edit | edit source]
A Furnace requires a pickaxe to harvest, otherwise it will drop nothing.
|Tool||This block requires a Wooden Pickaxe to be mined|
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Furnaces are only luminous when they are being used.
- When placing items in through hoppers, fuel goes in the side, and items to be smelted going into the top.
- The furnace ID is initially 61, however, the 62 ID is a lit furnace. The lit furnace does not work without fuel in it though.
- Furnaces, connected to Redstone Comparators, will give off a Redstone signal relative to its fullness.
- Ocelots and cats will sit on furnaces if they are lit.
- Furnaces had the texture of a stone block on top when they were released. This was fixed in Beta 1.2.
- In the 1.14 - Village and Pillage update, three new smelting blocks were added: the Smoker for food, the Blast Furnace for ores, and the Campfire for food. The first two can only smelt their intended items, and they cost more than a regular furnace, but they smelt items twice as quickly. The third is less expensive, but it takes a lot longer to cook food.
- A Blaze Rod can be used as fuel in a furnace.