It can also be used (as of update 1.3) to craft books. 24 pieces of leather are required to craft a full set of leather armor. In the 1.4 updates, leather can be used to make an item frame. An item frame can be crafted with a piece of leather in the middle, surrounded by sticks.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
|Leather Horse Armor (Pocket Edition and Windows 10 Edition only)||Book |
|Rabbit Hide||Rabbit Hide||None||Stick||Stick||Stick|
|Rabbit Hide||Rabbit Hide||None||Stick||Leather||Stick|
Achievements[edit | edit source]
The achievement "Cow Tipper" can be earned when a player obtains leather. Before 1.12, this achievement was available in the Java Edition; however, when achievements were replaced with advancements, this achievement can only be found in the console editions.
Usages[edit | edit source]
Leather is commonly used to make armor or books. However, leather armor has the least durability and resistance. Notably, leather armor can be dyed by a player by first placing the dye into a cauldron full of water and then dipping the leather armor into the cauldron.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- After Secret Friday Update 8, chickens would drop leather if killed by fire or fall damage (They won't take fall damage anymore after the mentioned update), although it has since been fixed.
- Saddles have the texture and color of the leather but are not crafted by it, as they can only be acquired from chests in dungeons, Ravagers, or from fishing.
- In Indev 0.31, an examination of the items.png file reveals there was a planned leather-chain armor. However, it was never implemented, and with the addition of gold armor, it has since been made redundant. The only thing that remains in the current versions of Minecraft is the tunic texture.
- After the 0.7.2. update of Minecraft: Pocket Edition, cows now drop leather upon death.
- Leather is the only armor type that can be dyed.
- Because it is dropped by cows, horses, llamas, and mooshrooms, leather is a renewable resource.
- Leatherworker villagers will buy leather in exchange for emeralds (this is only worth it if you're desperate).
- Leather is very helpful for beating the game.
- The leather cap, tunic and pants have different textures from their iron, gold, diamond and netherite counterparts. They are named differently for the same reason.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- Leather Tunic Sprite.png
- Leather Sprite.png
- Leather Pants Sprite.png
- Leather Horse Armor Sprite.png
- Leather Cap Sprite.png
- Leather Boots Sprite.png
- Leather armor legend.png
- New leather armor.png
- Skeleton leather.png
- Achievement Leather.png