|First Appearance||Logs: May 28, 2009
Stem: June 23, 2020
|Type of Block||Solid Block|
Logs, formerly known as Wood, are a crucial base resource in Minecraft found in trees. All of the beginning gameplay in Survival Mode relies on this resource since a player must start by harvesting logs to make any progress. Logs are collected from trees, and there are several different kinds that vary from biome to biome, but for all intents and purposes, they will all do the same thing. Logs can catch on fire and spread it in an instant, so it's a good idea to be cautious when using flint and steel or lava near logs. Charcoal can be created from a log by smelting a log in a furnace.
The process of gathering logs is commonly known as 'punching trees.'
Uses[edit | edit source]
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Appearance[edit | edit source]
- Acacia - Red log, grey wood.
- Birch - White-coloured wood with black streaks.
- Oak - Light-brown log, brown wood.
- Dark Oak - Brown log, dark-brown wood.
- Jungle - Oak log rotated sideways, with some green mixed in.
- Spruce - Light-brown log, dark-brown wood.
- Crimson - Red log with light red lines.
- Warped - Blue log with light blue lines.
Mining[edit | edit source]
A log can be harvested with any tool or by hand, but using an axe is the fastest.
|Tool||This block needs Axe to be mined|
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
Data values[edit | edit source]
In Bedrock Edition, oak, spruce, birch, and jungle log and wood have the ID name
minecraft:log and are further defined by their block data or block state. Acacia and dark oak log and wood have the ID name
minecraft:log2 and are further defined in a similar fashion.
In Java Edition, each log has a specific namespaced ID – for example, an oak log is
minecraft:oak_log, spruce log is
minecraft:spruce_log, and so on.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- As of update 1.4, leaves that do not touch logs will decay. The only exception is if a player places down the leaves.
- When the game was first created, there was only one type of log, oak. Birch and spruce logs were added in Alpha, and jungle logs were added in 1.2. Acacia and dark oak logs were added in 1.7.2.
- Logs are the most important material in Minecraft.
- As of 1.13, if a player right-clicks on a log with an axe selected, the log will turn into a stripped log, permanently which cannot be turned back to the original log.
- Fallen tree logs may spawn in forest biomes sometimes with a mushroom on top of them.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
A birch tree with birch logs.
An oak tree with oak logs.