Minecraft: Education Edition
The full game was released on November 1, 2016, with a beta test taking place between June 9 and November 1, 2016. It was later released on the App Store for iPadOS on September 6, 2018. On March 27, 2019, it was announced that the Education Edition would be operated by JD.com in China. Education Edition was made available for Google Play Store compatible Chromebooks on August 7, 2020, with a public beta being released on June 26, 2020.
Features[edit | edit source]
The Minecraft: Education Edition is based on Bedrock Edition and it contains features that make Minecraft more accessible and effective in a classroom setting, including:
- Enhanced maps with coordinates for students and teachers to find their way around the Minecraft world together.
- World import and export, where teachers and students can create and save their worlds in the game.
- Secure student login IDs with individual avatars to personalize learning experiences and help educators track student activity.
- Camera and Student Portfolio, where students can take photos of their projects in Education Edition to demonstrate learning and progress.
- Classroom management features including Peaceful world settings to ensure students stay on task.
- A collection of specialized blocks to enhance teaching and learning, including new signs to share information and give direction, as well as border blocks to manage students within a world.
- Enhanced multiplayer, where up to 30 students can collaborate and work together on a set of learning activities without a separate server.
- Tutorial experience for first-time Minecraft educators.
Lesson plans[edit | edit source]
Lessons plans through the Education Edition are available to download, covering various subjects such as engineering, history, and visual arts. Lessons plans are split into three groups based on certain age groups: Ages 5–9, Ages 10–13, and Ages 14+. Educators can also upload lesson plans that they have created for others to use, and they are downloadable from the main website.
Ages 5–9[edit | edit source]
- Creating A Virtual Community
- Factors and Multiples
- Landmarks in the Community
- Story Setting
- State History
- Area and Perimeter
Ages 10–13[edit | edit source]
- Preventing Urban Sprawl
- Loss of Biodiversity
- Ignoring Climate Change
- Fraction Stories
- Storytelling (Badlands)
Ages 14 and up[edit | edit source]
- City Planning
- Sustainable Living
- Solar Planning
- Rube Goldberg Machines
- Animal Farm
Exclusive mobs[edit | edit source]
Exclusive blocks[edit | edit source]
Exclusive items[edit | edit source]
Pricing[edit | edit source]
The full game will cost $5 per user per year to use, although schools and districts who already have MinecraftEdu will be able to get the Education Edition for free.
Requirements[edit | edit source]
According to the FAQ page:.
Windows 10.[edit | edit source]
- 1 GHz or faster 32-bit or 64-bit processor.
- 1 GB RAM or 2 GB RAM.
- 16 GB available hard disk space or 20 GB.
- DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver.
OS X El Capitan[edit | edit source]
- 2 GB RAM
- 8.8 GB available hard disk space.
- All Mac models listed here.
iPadOS[edit | edit source]
- iOS 8 or later.
- iPadOS 11
Chrome OS[edit | edit source]
- Chrome OS version 83 or newer.
- Device that supports Play Store apps.
- ~500MB hard drive storage free (250MB client + space for worlds) per account on the device.
An Office 365 account is required to log into Education Edition.
iOS[edit | edit source]
- iOS 11 or later.
Android[edit | edit source]
- Android 8.0
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Images[edit | edit source]
Minecraft: Education Edition app logo in App Store.
Video[edit | edit source]
- Minecraft Education Edition
References[edit | edit source]
- ↑ http://www.mojang.com/2016/09/new-intelligence-education-edition-arrives-november-1
- ↑ https://technode.com/2019/03/28/jd-cloud-lands-exclusive-rights-to-minecraft-education-edition-in-china
- ↑ https://education.minecraft.net/chromebook
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/41o4gd/announcing_minecraft_education_edition/cz42o0j