Behavior[edit | edit source]
The behavior of pandas may depend on their personality. One thing they have in common is their eating habit, in which they will wolf down their food while sitting down. When a piece of bamboo or cake is on the ground, any nearby pandas will walk to it and pick it up to eat it.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Pandas can have one of six personalities:
- Normal - The default personality of the panda. Has a rare chance of spawning as a brown panda. Brown Pandas still have a default personality.
- Aggressive - Will attack players and other mobs when it or another panda gets hurt. Distinguishable by its grey eyebrows.
- Lazy - Will not interact with the player and are usually the slowest of all the pandas. They usually lay on their bellies. A noticeable feature of them is their smile.
- Playful - Are enthusiastic and will jump over and roll around. They are more vulnerable to falling in high places. They are shown to stick their tongue out.
- Worried - Avoids hostile mobs and hides its face during a thunderstorm. Its expression is the same as its nature.
- Weak - They only have 10 health (5 hearts) and tend to sneeze more often as babies than adult pandas. They are shown by their facial expressions to be vulnerable.
Breeding[edit | edit source]
To breed two pandas, there must be 8 blocks of bamboo within 5 blocks of the two pandas. A player must then feed each panda bamboo. If there are not 8 bamboo blocks within 5 blocks, both pandas will attack the player.
Spawning[edit | edit source]
Pandas spawn in Bamboo Jungle Biomes in small groups at the surface on grass blocks with at least a 2-block space above them with a light level of 9+. They are significantly rarer than most jungle mobs. 5% of them spawn as baby pandas.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Brown is the rarest type of panda that can spawn.
- If a baby panda sneezes, other pandas nearby will react by "somewhat jumping". They will occasionally roll around.
- There is a chance a sneezing panda can drop slimeballs, making it obtainable in peaceful difficulty.
- This is a reference to the viral meme video online where a baby panda sneezed and its mother jumped from the loud sound.
- In 2012, Dinnerbone stated that he was interested in adding pandas into the game once he is "used to texturing the game".
- Pandas can also be fed with cake and will have the same function as bamboo.
- Staying too close to an aggressive-natured panda for a very long time might make it hostile.
- Baby pandas can roll around like playful pandas often do.
- Pandas are the only mobs, along with polar bears, that are known to have various personalities.
- Pandas have one private inventory.
- Baby Zombies can ride them only in Bedrock Edition.
- A normal natured panda may fight back to the player if they hurt it first, but it will only attack once and will be passive once more, similar to that to llamas.
- The panda sounds used in the game are recorded from their real-life counterparts.
- Aggressive pandas used to have a different texture on Java Edition with creepy red eyes but were eventually changed to match the Bedrock texture, the current one we have today.
- Pandas are one of the mobs based on endangered species, the rest being axolotls, bees, turtles, and polar bears.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Video[edit | edit source]
- ✔ Minecraft 20 Things You Didn't Know About Pandas
References[edit | edit source]