Raw Cod (originally named Raw Fish) is a food item that can be caught from a body of water with a fishing rod. After the player pulls the rod from water when it is being pulled into the water, the fish is flung towards a player. A more dangerous way to get raw cod is to kill guardians, elder guardians, polar bears, or dolphins. Raw cod only heals one File:Foodbaricon.png. If it is cooked in a furnace, smoker, or a campfire, it becomes cooked cod and restores File:Foodbaricon.pngFile:Foodbaricon.pngFile:Foodbaricon.png. Raw cod appears to be the only food for ocelots since they don't eat cooked cod. However, this requires patience, because if a player approaches too fast, the ocelot will run away.
Prior to 1.13, raw cod was named raw fish and had a gray-colored texture.
Advantages[edit | edit source]
- It is very easy to gather.
- This is especially noteworthy as one may lack a constant food source in a new survival game (a fishing rod is arguably easy to acquire).
- Gathering fish can be initially faster than waiting for wheat to grow or finding animals to kill.
- Since fish can be caught by any body of water, one can use a bucket of water to be able to catch fish anywhere.
- Farmer villagers sometimes require cooked cod as a trade-in exchange for emeralds. A stockpile of fish can help keep trading with farmers for longer, allowing for more trades.
- Guardians may drop a fish on deaths, as well as the elder variant, but it could be any variant of fish.
Disadvantages[edit | edit source]
- A fishing rod requires some string to make, which can be difficult to obtain early on. By the time it is easy to find, one tends to have other food sources already set up.
- One must be present the whole time one is fishing, which can be tedious.
- Once a wheat farm is fully established, it produces wheat far faster than one can obtain fish.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
The old texture for cod.
Mob version of cod
Current cod (item/raw version) texture