|First Appearance||0.0.18a_02 (June 14, 2009)|
|Type of Block||Solid block|
|No parameters specified|
Sponges cannot be crafted and must be obtained from either an elder guardian or from certain rooms in ocean monuments.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
As of update 1.8, a dry sponge can absorb water within a 7×7×7 area around itself, becoming a wet sponge. The surrounding blocks which were previously water, become occupied by air. The sponge must be directly touching a water source to absorb water, and will only absorb water connected to an adjacent water block touching the sponge. When a dry sponge absorbs water, it will convert into a wet sponge, which is darker, drips water, and is unable to soak up any more water.
Heating a wet sponge in a furnace or blast furnace will convert it back into a dry sponge. If an empty bucket is placed in the fuel slot of the furnace while smelting a wet sponge, the bucket will fill with the "evaporated" water, yielding 1 bucket of water per sponge.
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Can be harvested from a specific room inside an ocean monument (does not require a tool).
- Dropped by elder guardians when killed (the dropped sponge can be either wet or dry).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- A wet sponge will "drip" water if placed in the Overworld or the End.
- Sponges first appeared in the 0.0.19A update, but were changed slightly 50 minutes later, and were later removed from survival in Beta 1.8.
- They share the same sound effect as grass when a player breaks, places, or walks on them.
- Before update 1.8, it was impossible to get a sponge in Survival Mode without cheats.
- As of 1.16 hoes break sponges the fastest
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- Old sponge.png
The old texture of Sponge, before update 1.8.
If a Sponge sucks up water, it will turn into a wet sponge.